Friday, October 16, 2009

The Glory of Forty

I think I’m about to slap the next one of my friends that says that they are old or over the hill after hitting forty. Where does anyone get the idea that forty is old??? I’m just beginning to come of my own and loving every second of it. The old saying, “Old enough to know better, but young enough not to care,” rings true and should for most of us.

When we were younger, we worried about what everyone thought of us and now we know that the only person we truly need to impress is ourselves. How many times did we do something we didn’t believe in or didn’t do something we did, simply because we were afraid of what “others” would think?

When I was in my twenties, all the women that I looked up to and thought of as drop dead gorgeous were in their forties and that actually excited me about the future. Confident and achieving more than I could have hoped for back then, as well as comfortable in their own skin… Something rare and special in my eyes.

Now here I am, forty-three and having the time of my life. Better, healthier, and 100% more confident than I could have even dreamed possible. I’m literally bouncing off the walls and ready to try anything, not standing for being a wallflower, the way I was when I was younger. Determined to leave my mark and making a difference in the world.

Everyone should feel this good about their age. There’s nothing wrong with getting older, as long as we don’t get too old to enjoy life. Get comfortable in your skin, ignore your kids when they say you’re old, and get out there, experience life. You’ll never regret it. Getting “old” is always optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment