Sunday, February 14, 2010

What Have You Done Good For You Lately???


With Valentine’s Day we think of what we can do to show others that we love them, but we equally need to show ourselves a little “love.” This is the only body you’ve got and you need to at least attempt to care for it, for the long run.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m a world class ice cream junkie that rambled on about Cherry Cordial and cracked up my surgeon all the way to surgery once the old “happy juice” was added to my I.V. and won’t likely ever live down some of what I said, but I digress… One cannot live by ice cream alone.

We need to be aware of labels, ingredients, and what our bodies do/don’t need. Just being aware of how certain ingredients affect the body can cause you to think twice about taking them in. Some of us have an issue with sodium and processed foods, while others may need to consider how dairy works with their bodies. Everyone is different and we all need to eat healthy, but we all have areas that are more critical than others and we need to try to avoid those that clearly do more harm than good.

Besides eating and being aware of what you’re eating, you also need to make exercise a priority. If you get enough exercise, most other areas of your health will fall into place naturally. For me, it’s running and boxing, but you may have different preferences. Some like hiking, biking, or going out on ATVs… It doesn’t matter as long as you get up and get out there.

These long winter days make it more difficult to get out and do the activities we love and need, but spring is coming and soon we’ll be back out there kicking up our heels. Don’t use winter as an excuse to sit on your duff, watching American Idol and munching junk food. Get up and get moving, whether it’s just going for a walk or playing with the kids in the snow. Your body will thank you.

Beyond this you need to know when to rest and when to play. Life isn’t all about work. Find time for play, to rest and renew, even if you literally need to schedule it. It can make the world look like a much brighter place and you need that for sanity’s sake. Even adults need to play, schedule it…. Doctor’s orders (okay, I’m not a doctor, but I still order it!).

While all of this is just the beginning of taking care of that body you were given, it’s a good start. I intend to hang around for at least a hundred years wreaking havoc and hopefully, with a little moderation and fun, I’ll pull it off… Join me!

“Fresh air impoverishes the doctor.” ~ Danish Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment